Case Study: AFK Arena Release – How to Launch a Chinese Mobile Game in the US with Gaming Influencers
When launching a new mobile game in the congested market of North America, our client Lilith Games set up a clear and ambitious goal. The Chinese publisher aimed to get the game onto the Top-50 free game charts. How did Cloutboost hit and even outperform this bold target? Read about it in our influencer marketing case study.
- Client/Publisher: Lilith Games
- Product: AFK Arena – a new mobile RPG card game from Lilith Games, where players can build up a personalized team and level up with the unique AFK Awards auto farming system.
- Platforms: iOS, Android
- Markets: US, Canada
- Challenge: introduce new Chinese mobile game to the North American audience and help promote its release in the App Store and Google Play.
- Goal: get AFK Arena onto the Top-50 free game charts to attract more organic traffic through better chart positions.
Solution by Cloutboost:
Cloutboost selected the most relevant video game influencers and recruited them for the campaign. Six YouTube macro-influencers were engaged in the gaming sponsorships, which allowed us to expose the product to an audience of more than 16 million.
Step-by-Step Campaign Execution:
- Plan and manage an Influencer campaign featuring top YouTube Gaming and Entertainment Influencers.
- Run a giveaway offering in-game items in order to boost conversion rates and drive mobile game downloads.
- Amplify Reach via shoutouts on Influencers’ Social Media channels (Twitter, Instagram).
- Have Influencers share with their followers the features of the game they like the most, such as beautiful graphics, unique artistic style and strategic gameplay.
AFK, which stands for Away From Keyboard, represents a huge potential for easy and fun gameplay without too much effort from the player.
The key communication points were:
- To highlight how simple and convenient it is to play the game: anytime and anywhere on your mobile device.
- To encourage viewers to download the game without any delay and be the first to play it.
Here’s how these talking points were implemented by Orange Juice Gaming:
- 60-90 sec Video Ad Integration into YouTube Gaming Influencers’ videos
- Giveaway Announcement featuring personalized Gift Codes
- Social Media Posts announcing the game release
- Social Handle Branding
- Call-to-action & Tracking Link
We know how to set up ambitious goals: getting AFK Arena onto Top-50 Free Game charts in the US was one of them. Yet, this campaign shows that even a high goal can be outperformed.
Let the numbers speak for themselves:
- Google Play: # 13 Free Game in the US
- App Store: # 26 Free Game in the US (above Fortnite!)
- Overall Reach: 18M
- YouTube Views: 4.79M
- Engagement Rate: 3.8%
- Amplifying YouTube integration with sponsored posts on other social platforms, such as Twitter and Instagram, leads to higher campaign performance.
- A clear and consistent communication strategy will reward your brand with user engagement and product installs.